Internship Application Instructions
Douglass Community Services, Inc.-Court Appointed Special Advocate (DCS-CASA) has internships available for interested students throughout the school year. Internships provide students with an experience in human service/non-profit field through real work responsibilities in a range of areas within the CASA Program. General information on the internship and the application process is found below. Please read all of this before completing an application (also found below).
Criteria for Participation
• Must have permission of the institution at which he/she is enrolled to participate in the program.
• Must be currently attending a high school, trade school, technical or vocational institute, junior college, college, university or other accredited educational institution.
• Recognizes that the services performed will not be compensated by the agency.
• Must be willing to sign a written document of agreement between Douglass Community Services-CASA program and the student and his/her educational institution outlining the responsibilities of each.
• Students must be at least 18 years of age, to intern in most areas of work and 21 years of age to intern in all areas of work.
Purpose of the Internship
CASA Program seeks to provide students with an experience that exposes them to human service procedures while providing students with meaningful responsibilities. Prospective interns can request specific areas of work as well as specific departments. Some examples of types of work that have been done in the past include:
• Evaluation and Research
• Project and program management
• Computer technology
• New media/social media
• Human service programming
• Criminal Justice programming
No application will be considered complete until items are received by DCS-CASA:
• Cover letter: Your cover letter should outline why you would like to work at DCS-CASA, briefly summarize past experiences in the field of internship, if applicable, and list specifically what types of work you are interested in.
• Copy of the intern application, found below.
When the cover letter and application are completed, they should be sent in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “[Last Name], [First Name], Intern Application”. For example, if your name was John Smith, the email containing your cover letter and completed application would have the following heading: “Smith, John, Intern Application.”
Please print and mail or submit the completed application via email. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call us at 573-221-3890 ext. 280.
Applicants for the CASA Intern program will be accepted throughout the year. Once an application is received, the applicant may receive a request for an interview and then may be offered a second round of interviews with the DCS-CASA Program Director. Accepted applicants will have five business days to either accept or decline the position offer. Upon preliminary acceptance of internship offer, the applicant is required to pay the $40 background check fee that is completed online through verified volunteer. Final acceptance will be given upon approval of background check. The whole process from application submission to receiving an offer may take several weeks, depending on the demand for intern positions at DCS-CASA and the timing of the submission.
DCS-CASA welcomes interns at any point throughout the year and it is up to intern candidates and their prospective supervisors to negotiate the exact dates of internships.